Thursday, December 23, 2004

silver bells

"let them know it's Christmas time..."
You know, hundreds of Christmas albums have been released. Hundreds. Even the most obscure artist may have a go @ it... But you know what's the funny thing about these albums? To get your album done in time for a christmas release, you have to record it during... summer!!! Yup, that's right! When you listen to Mariah Carey singing happily "all I want for Christmas is you", you should imagine her with short pants and a bikini in an air conditioned studio. Best case scenario, the guy who produces the album has managed to find a Christmas tree, some stockings and put a golden star somewhere, to create the relevant atmosphere. But that's it. Mariah records her version of Silent Night and then heads off for an afternoon bath. To the sea, that is...
But she is not the only one. Tune in on MTV these days. You will be able to see a great party, full of guests in christmas spirit, singing great songs about great holidays, wishing you all the best and answer to questions such as "now, we know Robbie has to go, because his mom is waiting for him. All the family must have gathered by now, is that right Robbie?". And our man robbie will say sth like "yeah, u know, this time of year, I prefer not to be a party animal myself and get in touch with friends and relatives...". But you know what? The show that you are watching is pre-shot. The studio was full of joy, mistle toe and wine early November or something. What you are watching is [whisper it] F-A-K-E!!!
Then again, there is no reason for me to be so negative. After all, I'm always in for a nat king cole song, and I absolutely adore Dean Martin's interpretations of Christmas classics, not to mention the presents, the extra money, the parties, the new year countdown, bank holidays [...]. In a way... you could say I'm a sucker for Christmas. Yes, I do feel a little embarassed with all this joy around, I do feel awkward when it comes to respond to wishes from people I do not know well and don't want to, actually, and there were times I chosed to stay home with my playstation console [what a nerd!!!] rather than driving around the streets, stuck in post midnight traffic jam.
It's just, that... you can't help it, can you? It is a big celebration, it is a little break, it is a great opportunity to catch up with people, places and habbits you have missed and, as Lemon Jelly say...it's nice weather for ducks as well :-)
Now I don't remember my point, because I've been in and out of the net since I started writing so many times, that all I can recall is an ironic approach towards the Christmas spirit. But that changed, you see. Because, I've been out in the streets, in the meantime, I saw people smiling, I received some gifts [hehehe, that's the good part when you work @ publicity, I guess...] and decided that... what the heck, I'm gonna tear her playhouse down... oops, sorry, wrong line - I meant that, even if i will have to recruit some extra help [don't ask], and although I've been... way way better in the past, I think I don't want to spend this holiday season by myself.
Wherever that's gonna take me, I don't think I care. But I sure ain't gonna stay here. It's cold, it's lonely, it's sad, it's even pathetic sometimes. And I know happiness is not around the corner, I know I cannot sing Rodney Hunter's "Let your heart be your guide" and forget all about my problems, but if you wish me MERRY CHRISTMAS I am not gonna turn around and make a long face like Bill Murray in Scrooged or Billy Bob Thorton in Bad Santa. There's more to life than misery, they say. I don't know about that. But who cares? This is not the time to find out...
All the best, dear friends...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home