Tuesday, March 01, 2005

traffic jam in memory lane

Last night I was invited to attend this special screening. They call it avant premiere. They had booked four theaters at the new Athens' multiplex, Ster Cinemas. According to the invitation we were supposed to be there by eight o clock. I had got stuck in between two record stores so I arrived @ 21.15. The movie was just about to start. I grabbed a glass of vodka and found myself a cosy little seat for my royal ass. The movie was not that bad, given the fact that all greek movies suck for reasons beyond my blog [:-)]
It’s called Testosterone and it deals with a sailor who somehow ends up in an island inhabited only by women. Soon enough he’s a rare species, sought after by women of all ages [and shapes :-)]. His initial fantasy of having sex with anyone he fancies goes terribly wrong. He’s hunted like an animal. He can’t take it anymore and in the end…
Yeah, ok, I guess you could say that it’s almost a 21st Century version of La Citta Delle Donne but… you don’t care that much, do you? For what is worth… I managed to see the whole film, so that makes it a decent greek movie… And then the lights were turned on and the after show party began…
Nope, glamorous it wasn’t. Some actors, some journos, some executives, some bimbos and… lots of vodka. After having greeted all the people I know, after having been introduced to every single woman I haven’t already known [obviously I didn’t introduce myself. I mean others did that for me…], I decided my... testosterone level was not that high for the night, so I took the long way back home…
Since I moved downtown, I rarely ever take the car. This time, I had to take the train. So I headed for the nearest station. And when I sat at St. Eleftherios station, waiting for the next train, it all came back to me. For years, I did the same thing, while still in school. For my two… freshmen years, I used to take the school bus. Then I persuaded my parents I was big enough to pick my own means of transportation. And so I did. I was walking everyday to Victoria station and then I took the train to school, usually getting off @ St. Eleftherios...
So, in a way, last night was like getting back from school. When I was 14 I had a walkman. Now it was a discman. Back then I would have been listening to Outfield, Queen and Echo & The Bunnymen. Last night I had Action Action and ARE Weapons on my play list. Back then I would have been exchanging glances with girls from other schools [we only had males in class – yes, I am that old!!!]. Last night the train was almost empty. 16 years ago, I would have been making noise with my friends. Last night I was just enjoying the first night in months that I was completely alone. 16 years ago, my mom would have been waiting for me at home. Last night I opened the door and it was dark and quiet. 16 years ago, the room would have been full of subutteo figures, vinyl records, tapes, balls of various sizes,an Amstrad computer books in greek and lots of sneakers. Last night I stumbled upon some a stack of cd’s, some movie gadgets, a Yellow Submarine branded skateboard, a laptop, a plate with a credit card and a cut up straw, a hanger for my blazer, some books in English and, erm, lots of sneakers!... So much for my evolution plan!!! :-)
I opened the veranda doors and took a look at Lycabetus. Not bad for a view. Not bad at all. I pressed play on my cd player. Travis’ Singles was on.

"If I told you a secret
You won’t tell a soul
Will you hold it and keep it alive
Cause it’s burning a hole
And I can’t get to sleep
And I can’t live alone in this lie

So look up
Take it away
Don’t look da-da-da-down the mountain

If the world isn’t turning
Your heart won’t return
Anyone, anything, anyhow

So take me don’t leave me
Take me don’t leave me
Baby, love will come through it’s just waiting for you

Well I stand at the crossroads
Of highroads and lowroads
And I got a feeling it’s right

If it’s real what I’m feeling
There’s no makebelieving
The sound of the wings of the flight of a dove

Take it away
Don’t look da-da-da-down…”

Next morning, I got myself up and headed to work.
No school buses, no trains. I was on foot. It was raining. It was lovely.
I pressed play on my discman. Music to my ears. The soundtrack of an early morning. I felt good. Still do. I guess it’s good to have nice teenage memories. And my testosterone is back on high levels. That’s not bad either…

5 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

written like a master. youve got a bloody good grasp of your prose and can prattle on without losing my intrest.

looking back like that gives some insights, be they good or bad. looking back like that is a paradox of sorts, we see the good memories and juxtapose them 'gainst the fact that at the time we might not have thought back and remembered fondly such times, or thought them worthy of memory at all. good to look back though.

p.s WATCH OUT LADIES!!! :)

3:11 AM

 
Blogger Hector Drone said...

thank you dave. I really appreciate your kind words. It's always flattering when these come form Down Under... Hey, have I mentioned my english teacher was Australian? She has married a greek guy. Boy, I was in love with her... Anyhoo, I've been following your blog as well as Jess' and I want to write a post about it. You'll see what I mean. I hope that's fine with you...

5:51 AM

 
Blogger Dave said...

quite ok, always willing to recieve a bit of feedback. go for it :)

11:32 PM

 
Blogger DanaiShips said...

It's true then. In a strange way, our lives do go round in circles. Ok, the scenery may change a bit but..."όσο αλλάζουμε ζωή, τόσο μένουμε ίδιοι"...

12:58 AM

 
Blogger Dave said...

looking forward to that entry :) btw i made a new one too :P

11:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home