Thursday, January 20, 2005

The sex of it

Timing is everything… Ours sucks. Take care…

Wow! Yeah… Way to go girl! Tell it like it is. Don’t do him any favors…

Well… please don’t, actually. No favors needed. Just do your thing and have a nice life. You will be missed – or not…

Now back to business…
I decided that I say a little prayer is the best song ever! Ask me again tomorrow and I will have changed my mind. Try to remind me about it next month and I will deny everything… But.. do you remember that hilarious scene from My Best Friend’s Wedding, where Rupert Everett makes a fool of Julia Roberts, when he uses those Hal David lyrics to describe the way those supposed-to-be-lovers met? When the whole family does the backing vocals and everyone in the restaurant sing along? Well, that is a great version – but not the best one. You got some jazz instrumental covers that are smoothly good and Dionne Warwick is doing and excellent job in her version, where she slows down the tempo a little bit. Let’s not forget Willie Mitchell either, the famous Hi producer. According to him, the track is instrumental but fully arranged to a middle of the road level. And there’s this British guy, Jackie Leven, who comes to Astypalea every September for his summer holiday. His is the best male version and he is smart enough to put an alarm clock buzzing just before the lyric “the moment I wake up”… Hahaha, you cocky little bastard… [I should know – I have interviewed the guy ages ago]
But the definite version is the one everyone knows. Yup! Aretha. She’s the one, she’s the queen. She’s not one of my favorite artists, because she screams more than I could ever want from any singer who’s not in a nu metal band. But what she puts into this track is just amazing. You can almost feel her breath. You can listen to the most silent sigh she makes. You can see her in front of you, aching and reaching out, crying for a sign that will let her keep the hope alive. Yeah, it is kind of pathetic, but you can’t help but admiring how focused she is…

The moment I wake up
Before I put on my makeup
I say a little prayer for you
While combing my hair, now,
And wondering what dress to wear, now,
I say a little prayer for you

Do you get it? She’s wondering what clothes to wear, although most probably she won’t get to see him. But she wants to be ready, she wants be beautiful. What’s wrong with that?

Forever, forever, you'll stay in my heart
and I will love you
Forever, forever, we never will part
Oh, how I'll love you
Together, together, that's how it must be
To live without you
Would only be heartbreak for me.

They are trying to confuse us here… But it’s obvious that she does not imagine how it would be to live without him. She’s already been living that life.

I run for the bus, dear,
While riding I think of us, dear,
I say a little prayer for you.
At work I just take time
And all through my coffee break-time,
I say a little prayer for you.

Actually, that’s the same story with Abba’s The Day Before You Came but… vice versa!!!

Forever, forever, you'll stay in my heart
and I will love you
Forever, forever we never will part
Oh, how I'll love you
Together, together, that's how it must be
To live without you
Would only be heartbreak for me.

Up to this point her voice is magnificent and she takes the whole song off. The chorus and and band just follow – I mean, hands down, u can’t compete that…


My darling believe me,
For me there is no one
But you

Well, couldn’t agree more and your moves are right but, erm… your timing’s wrong.
Hahahaha


Oh, give me a break…

1 Comments:

Blogger Hector Drone said...

Hey kiddo!!!

That was not a trip down to my own memory lane. I don't believe timing is so important. If it proves to be then... why bother with all the rest? I don't want to depend on time - it's fickle...
That post was no confession - none of my posts is. So... please feel free to jump on as many conclusion as you like - but never forget it's not about me. What can I say? I'm a fiction kind of guy... :-)

and u r right about the lyrics... They were omitted though those lines prove me right. all this "love" is just wishful thinking...

7:29 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home