Monday, March 21, 2005

don't play that song

Ok, I know we have already established the new Stereophonics' album really rocks and stuff... but I haven't taken a moment to focus on the first single, "Dakota". It's an amazing song with a new wave-ish bass line, a steady beat and some great guitar licks throughout. But what's extraordinary about it is the sheer simplicity of the lyrics.

First of all, it begins with one of the greatest opening lines ever: "Thinking about thinking of you"... I mean... wow!!!! Yeah, it may seem stupid to you but... newsflash: stupid it is not - it's fucking awesome. He's not just thinking of her. He's thinking about him thinking of her. Because, obviously, that's a hard habit to break...

Now, I may be wrong, but I think this song is autobiographical and Kelly Jones recalls a relation ship he had when he was just the boy next door and not a well known pop star. And I think it's so touching that he really wants to know "why did it end?" after all those years. Because, you see, he obviously can have almost anyone he fancies now he's rich & famous. But, hell no, he understands that the essence and th truth lie beyond the filth & the fury...

Thinking about thinking of you
Summertime think it was June
Yeah think it was June
Laying back, head on the grass
chewing gum, having some laughs
Yeah having some laughs


It may seem boring and typical of me to write a post about a song and have the lyrics do the job instead of me thinking of something original to write but... d'ya get my point? If not... please go on. Give the next verse a chance...

You made me feel like the one
Made me feel like the one
The one


What's the point of being the ONE, if u r not the one for the person you really care about? I mean, you could say you are the best at what you are doing for a living, you can believe you are great at some kind of art, you can be at the top of the whole wide world but... is there really someone who makes you feel THE ONE? Because, you see, if that happens, then it means the other person is the one for you as well. If someone is in love with you and admires you but the feelings are not mutual, then he/she can't inspire you that. You don't give a toss if u r the one for someone who's not the one for you. Confused? Hope not... :-)

Drinking back, drinking for two
Drinking with you
And drinking was new
Sleeping in the back of my car
We never went far
Needed to go far


I don’t know where we are going now

And now he's ready to make the connection between his past life on the dole and the life on the road now...

Wake up call coffee and juice
Remembering you
What happened to you?
I wonder if we’ll meet again
Talk about us instead
Talk about why did it end


Got it? "wake up call, coffee and juice" - that's the morning after a gig. He wakes up in a hotel. They all start to look alike after a certain point in the middle of a continental tour. And he thinks of her.. He wants to meet. And talk. Face her again. Listen to her voice. See through her eyes. Why? Here comes your response again...

You made me feel like the one
Made me feel like the one
The one


So take a look at me now


Admit it. You're touched as well. And you 're left hoping one thing: if ever a love like that crosses your life... you won't let it slip away. Because everything resembles to be new then. And you want to go as far as possible. And even further...
Don't say I didn't warn you...

3 Comments:

Blogger Hector Drone said...

Hey Lord of the Dance!!!

Just managed to finish reading your posts... Boy u had a lot to say... How come your blog is comment-free after all?
It seems like you are in some kind of de-tox program again... :-)
I'll make a new compilation cd 4u and hav DAKOTA as the opening track. I promise it won't be so melancolic like the previous one. But you will take over the coffee arrangements. Deal?

3:12 AM

 
Blogger Junky Nurse said...

i think i have to give them an injection
dont worry kingdancer. they envy you. give me a minute to think of a good medicine combination.
#@^%*^/"><

p.s. a kiss to hectordrone's cheek. trying to download the damn song at the same time.
what does a nurse have to do to keep clientele happy...

3:25 PM

 
Blogger Hector Drone said...

Hey Hey we're the junkies!!! Do you remember that Chumbawamba song? Hilarious...
Anyhoo... I hope u will kiss me again after having dowloaded and listened to the song as well, hahahaha. To be honest, Junkie XL, oops sorry, Junky Nurse... I don't think you will like it. After all... it's mainstream!!! :-)
lol
I think I should pay you an extended visit someday soon. I feel like I HAVE to get out of this bloody country for a while...
:-) It's nice 2 know u r actually reading this...

10:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home