Thursday, March 17, 2005

love in bright landscapes

Sometimes, fellow bloggers, soul mate bloggers or friends who happen to be co-bloggers can really make up for all the pen pals you never had when you were supposed to, as a kid. When I was at high school, I was urged to get as many pen pals from abroad as possible in order to make my English and French better. As you may understand from my poor vocabulary and lack of idioms I never did that. But that did not happen because I was bored to get stamps and seal envelops. I had some pen pals from all over the world but they bored me after the first letter or so. I think I was to blame. I was thirteen or so, the pen pals were a bit older but all of them were writing about things one was "expected" to write about. But I didn’t want to learn about their customs and ethics. I wanted to learn about their lives. Now, if I had wanted some travel information I would have picked up a tourist guide or something. Plus, they all seemed pretty immature to me and, you know, as a kid, you want to have a taste of the grown up life, so information about math and tulip gardens and bicycle wheels were not exactly my cup of tea. And I didn’t even drink tea at the time! :-) So I never sent back those letters. And so went off my so-called pals...

Back to 2005. I am no longer a kid [try to tell that without bursting into laughter please]. I am a well respected gentleman [ok, you are allowed to laugh a little here]. I have friends abroad but they’re not from mail correspondence. And, among other things, I have a blog. And it’s through that blog I came upon Dave & Jessica. They’re both from Brisbane, Australia. They’re both seventeen years old. Actually, Jess has just turned 17. Today is her birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY JESS!!! And this post is for them…

I have never met them, obviously. Most probably, I never will. I know a couple of things about their lives, though… And if something is to blame for that… blame our blogs. I was introduced to http://nomoremisternicejess.blogspot.com/ by Hardcore Arena who recommended it as the best and most addictive blog around. I found that to be kind of absurd as we all know the best and most addictive blog around is http://www.headoverhell.blogspot.com/… :-)
Nah, he was right. It was. And still is. Just pay a visit and you will understand why. It doesn’t have pictures. No earthquake-wise disclosure either. No links to obscure sites. No words of profound wisdom. No quotes from songs or books or movies or anything. It’s just Jess’ thoughts actually. And, no question about it, she’s a gifted personality, as it took me 31 years to be able to think the way she does. And, whisper it, she seems to be doing it [the thinking part] rather better…
And all her friends log in and write comments. And she has lots of friends who love her. And her family ties are strong. And although she is really really clever, she hasn’t even decided if she wants to go to college or not. But don’t mind my interpretations. You should go after the real thing. You may also read her opinions on abortion, career focusing, “popularity” issues at school, animal rights, sleeping in pool fences, coffee tables, freezers, stairs and comfortable floors as well as numerous other very interesting topics. And, apart from getting bored easily [well, I guess that goes along with intelligence] she seems to be one of the nicest persons I [don’t] know. She always has a good word for her friends, she’s always trying to avoid compliments, she’s happy when others are happy and still cannot understand why some people are not kind to other people…

And then, at the end of February she wrote
5 months today dave:) thankyou so much for everything. seriously, you have no idea how much you mean to me. i love you
Just that. Her shortest post. But what more should she have said? Yeah, it’s funny if you think about it. Five months. Five months don’t seem a long time, right? No one gives a toss about five-month anniversaries. Well, she did. She’s 17. She’s in love. And the lucky fellow is called Dave. But who is this Dave bloke anyway?

Those familiar with the minimal comments on my posts would already know Dave. Dave is obviously a guy who can appreciate a good blog as he’s a regular in mine. :-)
Seriously now, Dave is a student from Brisbane. Only he’s many other things as well.
From what I can understand, Dave is not your ordinary 17 year old boy. Sure, he likes loud music [whereas Jess is into Delta Goodrem and more mainstream stuff] and punk rock and Muse and Queens Of The Stone Age. He has a piercing which he is not allowed to wear at school. He’s also learning tae kwo do which says a lot about his personality [anyone who was ever into martial arts would know what I am talking about]. I haven’t understood yet if he plays an instrument but it’s certain that his friends have a band. You can read more about he and his mates in http://daveblogsitup.blogspot.com/.

Dave and Jess go to the same school, I assume. She noticed him because he’s kind of misfit. Outsider by choice. Out on his own. To quote him “he wonders a lot”. And when you do that at high school, you’re not exactly the king of the prom or the leader of the basketball team. But he stole Jess’ attention. And they’re together. A lovely couple, as you can see from the picture above.

I am afraid I cannot give you hot details about the first date, kiss etc. I know nothing about that. You see, thing is, they never write silly things about their relation ship on their blogs. They write lots of stuff but not THAT personal. And that makes the whole lot even better. Respect!!!

So, all you can do, if u really share my enthusiasm for these guys is to imagine things. Here’s what I imagine: Opposites attract. Jess is kind to everyone, has lots of friends, tight family ties, excellent grades at school and lots of guys after her. But she can’t bother – typical things bore her. She doesn’t want to do something just because she’s supposed to. Dave is the skinny kid in the schoolyard. He’s always ready to give a hard kicking to anyone silly enough to challenge him. He goes out with his friends, all dressed up like the guys in Blink 182 or Sum 41 or some other band with a number next to a three or five letter word. They drink beer, talk about music and girls, get drunk. But Dave wonders a lot. So he doesn’t exactly fit in. Sure, he can have fun as the next guy but he’s restless. He wants more. And then he met Jess. And she looked into her eyes. And sparks flied high. And Jess’ girlfriends didn’t quite get it. They ‘d rather Jess had her hooks in another guy. But Jess is not into popular quarterbacks. She prefers the guys at the back – the extra-ordinary ones. And Dave’s the one for her. And they’ve been going out for six months now. And they talk about the future. And their exams. And their teachers. And their friends. And I am sure Jess considers Dave’s friends to be hers as well. Not the same with Dave, though. He’s not very social. And he knows Jess’ friends can’t quite dig him. And he’s kind of hostile towards them. And Jess sees that. She’s wondering what she could do to alter things round. But when he’s hugging her, nothing else matters. For a moment there… it’s only them against the world. And that’s a magic moment you wish it’d last for ages.

The school will end. University applications will begin. Job offers will occur. New people will come into their lives. And, yes, as every thirty-something would bet with plenty of cynicism, odds are against them staying together. Their teen relation ship will be a faded memory in a couple for years. They will have moved on. Maybe even literally. So, no more plain old Brisbane for them. No more blogs. Queens Of The Stone Age will have split. Delta Goodrem will be remembered as a one hit wonder. Dave’s friends will no longer beat the drum kit like maniacs. Jess’ friends will have been married with children. And they won’t get to see each other, not even talk on the phone or exchange e-mails.

Oh, fuck that!!! It doesn’t necessarily work this way. We work things out. They don’t work out themselves [I’m pretty sure that, in English, what I just wrote means that some "things" go the gym but anyway…]. So, Dave, Jess, if u r reading this, never mind my cynicism. Do your thing. Smile. Hold each other. Talk about things. Do things together. Face the world together. Live this life together. Follow the sun wherever it leads. And if u ever fall short of your desires, remember life holds for you one guarantee: you’ll always have… “woot!” [ok that’s A Diana Ross sample lyric but it’s nice whatsoever].
The world needs couples like Jess & Dave. We need them because they remind us that true love never fails. And true love makes you happy when it’s five months and counting since that very first kiss. And true love makes the world go round. And it can bring tears into a hard, big, old man's eyes. And it makes you feel seventeen again. And it makes life shine. And it makes us smile. And Mel Gibson got to marry his childhood sweetheart. And… guess what – he’s Aussie as well!!!

Thank you. Both

4 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

touching.

got that right down to a 't', except..

we have footy jocks in aus...theyre much more stupid than those in america cos well...theyre dumbfucks not to put too fine a point on it.

lol jess's birthday is a little while yet. it's on the 25th of march, three days after we've been going out fer a (very happy) six months :) but as with anything, we make mistakes. jess reads the blog regularly too (yours ;) and will no doubt be very happy to see that even people across a few continents are wishing her a happy birthday *cough in advance cough* :)

And your damn right i love that music. QOTSA ROCK ....YEAH... ahem....*sits in the corner*

I play bass guitar! haha yeah. apparently, that doesnt make me a guitarist...just a 'bassist' meh lol i have fun. s good for me too, the concert is made by the man (or chick) who just plays one string at a time...and it helps when the pa system is bloody well massive too - i remember having my ears ringing about 3 days after seeing Frenzal Rhomb :)

Seriously though, you describe the relationships well, and well things will go on, but as jess has said a few times "oh no, but youre stuck with me Dave! im gonna be the one makin feral noises at your wedding and be known to your kids as aunty jess!" (provided she's not the one married to me ;) haha best not to get too far ahead of myself..

But hey, it's all well and good when it comes down to it...

Thanks for the blog entry, means a lot.

10:38 PM

 
Blogger Hector Drone said...

Dave said...
haha....im 17...birthday was in jan. jess is coming up this month (17th).

U see? It was not my fault!!! :-)

Anyway, my bad timing spoils everything but it would be pointless to delete it now. Scripta mannent... and yes, that's latin!!!

I am afraid I didn't get the
"got that right down to a 't', except.. we have footy jocks in aus...theyre much more stupid than those in america cos well...theyre dumbfucks not to put too fine a point on it." part.
Sorry about that, but you seem to overestimate my english. Haven't u noticed that I hardly speak the thing?...

Nah, I know Jess doesn't read this but it's ok - I guess it must be boring for all of you there. To be honest, I am quite surprised you really read my posts on a stable basis. Your comments are more than welcome and much appreciated, always.
But I didn't write this post in order to please my readers or something. It just struck me to do it. And i did. Because your whole school's "obsession" with blogs is quite interesting.

Bass gtr! Excellent. I always like bands that put bass sounds up in the mix. Take The Red Hot Chili Peppers for example - Flea is an amazing bass player and all their songs have this sexy bass line inspired by funk music! No band in the history of pop music managed to do something worthwile without a good bass player: The Beatles, The Who, Rush, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, Echo & The Bunnymen, The Cure and the list goes on an on [ok, The Sex Pistols were an exception] until today, with Radio 4, Franz Ferdinand, !!! [that's a band], Munk, Bloc Party etc. All great bass players.

And a good pa is absolutely essentila in order to have a clear bass sound. Otherwise, u only get a disturbing noise...

Hey, write some other bands you like as well. You can e-mail me if u don't want to use the comment boxes.

Cheers!

3:22 AM

 
Blogger Dave said...

my bad....sorry for that. think that was the stage where i was just aware of the month and not the date her b'day was on...it's fixed now, it having co-incided closely with the six-month, an easily remembered 22nd :)

sorry bout the footy jocks thing - its a stereotype commonly used in america...generally big burly stupid blokes. by simply looking at their respective sports one can see that australian footy players are not as bright as the ones in yankland - rugby league can be thought of as (where the ball moves) kick..run..tackle..run..tackle(and so on up unto the 5th tackle, then)kick..and a repeat of the whole thing again with the other side doing the running instead. By it's simplicity, it cannot have complex tactics, hence my referral to them a dumb.

Jess reads it! ever since i started talkin of the 'random greek' that was posting on my blog and i was conversely on yours, jess has said you and i were 'like this'(some funny little things the girls do where you cross your two first fingers..like little kids do - meant to take the piss out of a relationship by indicating closeness where there is none...confusing, i know...)

the obsession wasnt that much, more so a trend - i first came across them ages ago...didnt think much of them though. later on someone started one themselves, and any active ones are the remanants of the trend.

yeah..i love the bass. i'll e-mail you with who i like :) haha i know what ur talkin about with the disturbing noise - i have to put up with my tiny little 15w practice amp atm and the other two electric guitarists have 30w marshall amps...not fair :(

i check your blog every day...you were a diamond in the rough of crap...i came across you earlier before you posted on jess' and though you were good...and forgot to remember to make a bookmark of your blog. was overjoyed when you posted on jess's though..
i spose i just like your insights and way of thinking..hell i just like your blog in general :)

6:15 PM

 
Blogger Hector Drone said...

Hey there you lovebirds... :-)

DAVE - "diamond in the rough of crap"... Was that the chat up line you used with Jess? Hehehe. jj

thanx 4 the kind words but... honetsly now... it's not much of a blog. And if you make your english teacher take a look at my posts... I will fail all A levels... :-)
Thing is... this blog is... well... I am afraid it is not a way for me to escape or express myslef or something THAT important - and I am grateful I don't have such needs. It's just... well u could say it's the first outlet I work for and I can write [almost] whatever the fuck I want. Ok, the payroll is low but... :-)

JESS - Sorry for the early wishes - I will come back again on that in a few days. LOVE IN BRIGHT LANDSCAPE - the sequel :-)
For the record, the title was inspired by A Triffids' album. The Triffids are one of my ten most favourite bands ever and they're from Australia. Unfortunately, theri singer, Dave McComb, died a couple of years ago. But u should check them out - both of you. They sound alike anything but Celine Dion and Green Day but... they're amazing! You should listen to "Bury Me Deep In Love", one of the most touching love songs ever recorded.
Hey Jess, I am flattered you say you read the blog, let alone leave a comment as well...

Stranger things have happened... It's true - I give u that...

I'd say that anyone who leaves a comment is not a friend. far from it. It's like saying that a stranger who's giving you sweets is not suspicious... :-)

As for u being speechless, thanx, but it's not a big deal. I am happy any of u didn't get me wrong, because you could think I am obsessed or peeping-blog or something :-P

Hope u r both in fine health and mood. Sorry for the Neil-loss. I am sure Dave will do his best to consolate you...

5:34 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home